Global Recycle Standard (GRS) certifies products obtained from recycled materials and manufacturing activities.
It enhances products made from recycled materials, in compliance with environmental and social criteria extended to every stage of the production chain.
What it is certified
Global Recycle Standard (GRS) is promoted by Textile Exchange, one of the most important no-profit organization that promotes international responsible and sustainable development in the textile industry.
With this standard, Textile Exchange acknowledges the crucial importance of recycling for the growth of a sustainable production and consumption model; it aims to encourage the reduction of resource consumption (virgin raw materials, water and energy) and to increase the quality of recycled products.
GRS provides for the issue of an environmental statement verified by a third party to provide evidence of:
- The content of recycled materials in their products (both intermediate and finished)
- The compliance with environmental and social criteria in all sectors of the production chain.
All products that are composed of at least 20% pre-consumer and post-consumer recycling materials can be GRS certified.
GRS criteria cover the following areas:
- Composition of the product and content of recycled materials
- Maintaining traceability throughout the entire production process
- Restrictions on the use of chemicals.
- Compliance with relevant environmental criteria which may concern: water supply, waste water discharge, water discharges, energy recovery, use of selected waste, pollutant emissions into the air, production and management of waste, soil and groundwater contamination, management of hazardous substances, preparations and materials, noise emissions, emergency management.
- Respect of social criteria relating to workers' rights.